Crazy Eights November 12, 2007Posted by davegoblog in Blogging, Books, Movies, NaBloPoMo, Parenting, Pop Culture, Sports, Star Wars.
By starting to blog this year and participating in NaBloPoMo, I’ve met a lot of interesting people and have learned some new terms to add to my lexicon. Thanks to the witty Sandy at Momisodes, I’m doing my first meme. Enjoy!
8 things I’m passionate about:
- My daughters (Rosie & Lily) / Being a good father
- My wife (Anna) / Being a good husband
- Science especially chemistry – so much so that I got my B.S. and M.S. in it.
- Pittsburgh Steelers – I was born and raised (for three months) in the Steel City of the Three Rivers.
- Creating peace – I imperfectly try to hammer swords into plowshares as in Micah 4:3 and transform arrows into flowers like Siddhartha did while under the Bodhi tree.
- Star Wars, Star Wars, Star Wars!
- Argyle socks – I love ‘em!
- Reducing, reusing, and recycling – Remember the law of conservation of mass/matter that says matter cannot be created/destroyed, but it may be rearranged.
8 things I want to do before I die:
- Go into space.
- Visit Stonehenge (before spellcheck it was Stonehedge).
- Decide how to use my body for science after I die (stay tuned for future blog post).
- May be have another kid. And, by “have” I mean Anna carrying the baby for nine months and delivering the child. Seriously, I’m okay with the two girls, but who knows what the future holds.
- Live another 64 years. Just realized the “numbers” involved…36 + 64 = 100 or using perfect squares 62 + 82 = 102. Spooky!
- See humans land on Mars and return to safely.
- Visit this statue.
- Finish this list.
8 things I say often:
- “Ro-SIE!” – It’s the Dad voice.
- “Good job, Rosie!”
- “Not for Lily / not for babies.”
- “Hello, Bumbo!” – how I greet Lily.
- “I love you.”
- A G-rated expletive such as my current favorites of “Dagnabbit!” and “Mother Superior!”
- “Have you seen my slippers?”
- “It’s possible, pig.” – Potential response to any question asked in our house. A reference to The Princess Bride for those who don’t know.
8 books I’ve read recently:
- The Orc King by R. A. Salvatore (in process)
- The World Without Us by Alan Weisman
- Spook Country by William Gibson
- Mr. Pine’s Purple House by Leonard Kessler (Thanks Purple House Press!)
- Goodnight Moon
- Peek-a-boo I See You (Lily’s favorite Sesame Street book)
- The American Way (DC Comics)
- Discontinuity and Hope
8 songs I could listen to over and over:
- The Star Wars Main Theme by John Williams – I get chills down my spine every time I hear it and sometimes when I just think about it.
- Anything by “Weird Al” Yankovic – Yep, it’s out there now.
- A Mighty Wind soundtrack
- “Ana Ng” by They Might Be Giants – The ringtone on my cell phone for when Anna calls.
- “Purple Haze” by Jimi Hendrix – The ringtone for when everyone else calls.
- Anything by Baron von Stinglehoffer, the Stingasaurus, or the Stinganator.
- “In Da Club” by Assassin – This was a free song download from iTunes, otherwise I would have never heard it.
- “Spybreak” by Propellerheads – Music played in the lobby scene when Neo and Trinity go to rescue Morpheus in The Matrix.
8 things that attract me to my best friends:
- Sense of humor & laughing at / with me
- Love of monkeys
- Playing games (board, card, video, RPG, etc.)
- Keepin’ it real / honesty
- Some other seventh thing
- Begrudgingly agreeing to participate in this Crazy Eights meme
8 people I think should do Crazy Eights:
- Gedeon at gedblog
- firecrackerTart at Sequential Tart (or a good time to start your own blog)
- Anthony at One-Button Mouse
- Corey at Corey’s Blog
- Derek at batteredham
- Jen at In the life of me.
- SciFi Dad at Tales From The Dad Side
- Lisa at Russian Mafia Babe (I love that blog name)
Now, you know more about me than I do. It was a lot of fun and knocked off one post for NaBloPoMo.